Monday, February 4, 2008

In Which I Don't Promise Anything

Yeah I know. It's been a while.

But here's the thing. Since August, I've been applying to graduate school. I didn't realize it was going to take so much effort. Actually, I knew it was going to take effort, but I thought the effort would mostly involve things like seriously contemplating my future, and taking time to carefully and painstakingly write a personal statement that would express my personality and plans for the future in an eloquent, clear manner. Instead, the effort mostly involved going to the Post Office, filling in my social security number seventeen consecutive times, writing my home address twenty-three consecutive times, going back to the Post Office, asking current and former employers for recommendations, sending them recommendation forms from the Post Office, sending transcript requests to various schools through the Post Office, receiving transcripts in the mail, putting them back in the mail at the Post Office to be sent to new schools, and so forth. Precious little of it actually involved complex thought. Most of it involved the Post Office.

But today, Monday February 4th, I awoke to find that, for the first time in months, I really don't have any application work to do. I have to admit, I feel kind of lost. The constant grad-school "To-Do" lists that have been following me around for the months have had all of their items crossed off, without many new things to be added. I'm done!

It's kind of boring. Which is why I've decided that it's prime time to get this blog started up again. (Was it ever really started in the first place?) Now, I am aware that I have repeatedly vowed to start blogging again and then ended up doing nothing of the sort. So this time I'm not going to promise anything. I might write a lot. I might write nothing. You'll just have to stay tuned if you want to find out.

No comments: